Skaneateles is a Storybook Village. We know because we live here.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

"Secret Places"


This is Stella Maris, one of my Secret Places.

Thing is, besides being magnificent, it is stage center in the StoryBook Village and very few locals have ever set foot inside. BIG mistake.

Problem is their past. For years Stella Maris [was] a retreat Center for Catholic nuns. As a kid, I remember them [nuns, that is] down by the water; some in habits, some in [black] bathing suits. Wow! was that ever avante garde [and before the Vatican Council]

Today, Stella Maris is still a place for retreats, but muchmore. It is also a non-denominational Conference Center, and in part a hotel, and, in total a very cool place.

Visit www.stellamarisretreat.org to see their offering of programs, but for sure read their definition of "so what is a retreat anyway?". Recently, I spoke with Sister Rose about her view of what constitutes a spiritual experience; I was blown away. This is NOT your father's Oldsmobile woman.

They have offerings for divorce, and happily married couples, and AA, and a local Yoga group, even a strawberry festival.

But... the secret place is the Gift Shop. Ready for this? It is self-serve-self-pay-thank-you-very-much. And they have really cool stuff.

Next visit here, just go there and spend some money in the Stella Maris Gift Shop.

Curt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took a tour of Stella Marris with a friend who visits many retreats in his line of work.
I was NOT surprised when he said "Stella Marris has the best food of all the retreats I've been to".
Since the tour, I have been back 3 times.It is a wonderful experience.

Thanks Stells Marris

D.C.

Connie said...

Years ago I went to a summer camp on the East side of the lake. It was called "Lourdes Camp". So much has changed, that I was wondering if Stella Marris is the new name ?
I don't remember a restaurant, though, but again it was in the late '40's - early '50's.
We had to drive down a very narrow winding road until we reached the lake. The cottages were all arranged in a horseshoe effect....... So much fun and have so many good memories.
Love to hear from you.